Dodge Kansas History
Dodge City offers a wide range of legends, traditions and history for travelers in western Kansas. The small town was built in the late 18th and early 19th century on the cattle trade as a trading post for cattle and other cattle.
Dodge City still clings to those memories, sharing the days of yesteryear with visitors who want to relive this chapter of American history. The trail starts in the Dodge City Historic District in the west of the city, south of Interstate 35.
These artifacts represent Dodge City from the 1860s to 1900, and how it would have looked in the 1870s. The main attractions in Dodge City are the Dodge County Courthouse, Kansas City Museum of Art and American Legion Hall. Other attractions in and around the city include the US Post Office, Kansas State University, a Kansas History Museum and other historic buildings.
The Public Lobby uses the city's history to recognize the importance of the livestock industry in Dodge City, Kansas and the state of Kansas by incorporating the latest features and technologies into the bulk of this facility. This is a great opportunity to read a storyboard that explains why livestock farming was so important to Dodge City and Kansas.
From 1883 to 1884, the number of livestock dealers in Dodge City increased significantly, and the city grew enormously during that time. Dodge's days as a cattle town ended when the railroad hit its tracks in Texas and closer to pasture land. The tide of emigration turned when the railroads reached the Arkansas River, but Dodge City lasted much longer.
Buffalo were mercilessly hunted across the prairie plains and taken to trading posts like Dodge City. Livestock encouraged people to settle in Dodge City, which they found in 1872 and soon became one of the most important cattle towns in the United States. Buffalo is hiding high above Front Street, awaiting delivery, making it the "buffalo capital" of the West. With the arrival of cattle and buffalo skins and the expansion of the railways, it began to gain in size and influence.
Fort Dodge provides protection not only for trade routes, but also for border communities, including Dodge City, Kansas.
To protect the site, the government built Fort Dodge, named it after Col. Henry I. Dodge and commissioned his nephew, Grenville M.odge. The city's founders chose Dodge City because of its proximity to the Mexican border and its location at the mouth of the Dodge River.
The founders originally called their new settlement Buffalo City, but changed it to Dodge City after nearby Fort Dodge. The city had already used the name, and the post office already had a Buffalo, Kansas. In August, the city was renamed "Buffalo City," but that name was changed and a name was chosen for it: "Dodge City."
Ford County was not founded until 1873, so there were no laws or government officials in the early years of Dodge. Dodge City was not founded until November 1875, and Ford County was not founded until 1873. The Dodge County Times appeared on May 20, 1876, but it carried a number of other newspapers over the decade.
Dodge City was founded the following month, and Ford County was enrolled in August 1872. In July 1873, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroads arrived in Dodge City, which was to usher in enormous growth over many years.
In the 1880s, Dodge City got a new competitor in the beef trade from the border town of Caldwell, but forgot about it. At the end of the century, the cattle trade moved from Caldwell to Dodge City and then back to Caldwell. Cattle were traded in Caldwell and other Ford County towns throughout the 1980s and into the 1890s.
Later, the editor of the Hays City Sentinel, on a visit to Dodge City, wrote, "Dodge is like Deadwood, Kansas.
One of the first permanent settlers was Andrew J. Anthony, who settled in 1867, and one of his sons, John Anthony Anthony. The Arkansas River in Kansas reached its crossing at what is now Dodge City and numerous personalities from the American Old West lived there. This illustrious period of history is over, but the legend lives on in the history of Dodge, Kansas, and many other cities in the United States.
Fort Dodge was founded to protect wagon trains on the Santa Fe Trail and to provide supplies to soldiers who fought across the plains in the Indian Wars. It was well received by the Department of War and led to the construction of Fort Dodge as one of the first fortifications of the US Army in Kansas.
The house is located at 1000 Second Ave. , in the heart of the city of Dodge City, Kansas, north of downtown. It now houses the home of retired director of the Kansas Heritage Center and retired Kansas State University professor of history, Dr. John E. Johnson. 1000 Seconds Ave. , specializing in historical research, education and public education on the history of Fort Dodge and Kansas.